Monday, June 15, 2009

Swing Kids

A few weeks ago, I read an article online about Christian Bale and the movies he has been in. One sounded particularly interesting. He plays a teen, in Germany in the 1930s, who loves swing music. This doesn't sound all that special. However, swing is looked down upon because its the music of "Negroes and Jews". Its also illegal. I thought Bale was the lead, but true lead is played by Robert Sean Leonard, better known as Dr. Wilson on House. He was superb. The acting was convincing and honest. I truly believed the inner struggle that he was portraying in the character of Peter. While the over all story was a bit predictable, with brazen youth, inner conflict, and ultimate redemption, it was touching. I wasn't expecting the movie to be so good. But it grabbed me and made me care, and in caring to reflect on a few things. I highly recommend this film, but only when you have two hours to devote to it. Its not to be taken lightly and deserves you full attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment