Monday, June 22, 2009

Guitar solos.

I'm listening to Jars of Clay's "Crazy Times". I has an amazing solo and I get goosebumps when I hear it. And I was reminded of a comment from a college classmate. He always claimed that God will speak to us, in heaven, in Freddy Mercury's singing voice. And that has me thinking, I think maybe I'll be guitar solos. But that fired another thought process. Is a guitar solo as good without the proper context? In "Crazy Times", its a fantastic solo, but it may only be so because of the contrast and emotional impact that it has based on its given context in the song. So, I think maybe the guitar solo is only as good as the song its part of. It needs that whole support staff of the song to make it worthwhile. Without it you just have a guy playing a guitar for however long. I think that is why some of Frank Zappa's stuff doesn't appeal to me. He would edit solos from different shows together, and even had a few albums that were just compilations of them. Sounds bizarre to me. But, knowing what I know of Zappa, that was probably the point.

No comments:

Post a Comment